Shabby Blogs

Monday, December 5, 2011

Post Op Day 4

So sorry for my HUGE posting delay. I wrote a post on Friday and it was accidentally deleted. I have been too tired or busy since to write up a new one. Well, we are on 8D! This experience has gone much more quickly than the first but has been just as hard if not harder. I will give you a little recap of what has been happening. Post Op Day 1: Jack was taken off the ventilator. I was so excited but it made me realize how much pain he was in because he could actually express it. He cried, hard for the first 15 minutes or so until he was given some pain meds and something to calm down. That was tough. He did not feel good. Post Op Day 2: Finally started feeds. I think he was hungry wouldn't you say? Feeds were started at 5cc an hour! So slow! They were progressed 5cc every 3 hours. As you can imagine I am so nervous when it comes to feeding ever since all his tummy trouble. I do not want to go through that again, especially with an open chest. Post Op Day 3: We reached full continuous feed volume and he did great! The kicked us out of the PCICU and pulled his RA line, arterial lines and chest tube! I was very surprised about the chest tube! but it had not been draining. That is awesome because it says a lot about our drainage on the next surgery! And today. We've made it to our room and even though the nurses will be in and out all night, I think I am going to sleep great now that I can see him at all times! He drank about an ounce from a bottle, but I am so happy he is even drinking from one! The g tube has been such a blessing eventhough I have cursed it so many times! I truly am thankful for it because it has sped things along. I still haven't gotten a smile and I know that is because of the headaches. I was told he would have headaches but they are so, so, so terrible. He will wake up from a peaceful sleep screaming, kicking and rubbing his head. Poor guy. The nurses have told me Jack is better than most of the babies, and I could not imagine it being worse! So we will probably be heading home Wednesday or Thursday!(I hope.) They like for the pain to be managed first. In my unprofessional opinion, we are not there yet. I have to get my smile! Maybe tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update- I know you've been busy! We're glad to hear y'all are on 8D and that he's doing so good. I hate he's got the headaches and will pray they go away very soon and I'll also be praying you get that sweet smile :) the pictures are adorable & I seriously think I could just eat him up every time I see a new one! Love y'all very much!

    ReplyDelete