Shabby Blogs

Sunday, December 11, 2011

We're baaaack.....

Well, back to MUSC that is. We were discharged Wednesday and in my excitement to take my sweet boy home I failed to ask more questions about his fussiness and pain level. The docs had been working hard to manage his pain and I kept thinking maybe it wasn't all pain, maybe it was all the poking and probing. Well once we were home Wednesday evening he was still exceptionally fussy and at timeS inconsolable. I thought maybe getting back into our home routine would help, nope. He cried every hour. Thursday and Thursday night were no different. Friday morning I noticed the bottom section of the strips that hold his incision together looked bubbled up. He had a cardiology appointment that morning so I was glad it showed up before we went. When I unbuckled him in the parking lot I noticed he had either a little blood or brownish substance that had leaked through his clothes right in that spot. I tried not to worry, even though I knew it wasn't a good thing. At the appointment Jack's cardiologist pulled the strips off and a brown ooze began pouring out. Dr. Williams thought it would be ok not to send him back to MUSC and started Jack on some antibiotics and wanted to keep a close eye on it. I was relieved and even more so that the echo of his heart looked great! Well Friday night began very uneventful. Jack seemed to be happy and slept great until about 1am (probably exhausted from the previous nights). At 1 he woke up screaming. It took me an hour to get him calm all of which I paid close attention to his breathing. It seemed like he was having difficulty taking a deep inhale. Once he calmed his breathing sounded normal but slightly rapid. His breathing continued to sound "off" all morning and at 10am I decided something just wasn't right and it was time to make some calls. Fast forward, and here we are. The verdict is the incision infection does not look terrible but he needs a strong course of antibiotics and observation for a few days. They tried for a few hours last night to get an IV for the antibiotics, but Jack has the tiniest veins. So they have given up on that and he has to get shots everyday we are here. They said the shots hurt because the serum is really thick. Poor guy, as if he isn't in enough pain already. I hope to take home a super happy healed boy by mid week! We will see what the docs say, but I know they will take care of us here!

No comments:

Post a Comment